1 teaspoon grapeseed or canola oil
27g 93% fat-free ground chicken
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce*
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
3 cups (300g) shredded Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup (50g) shredded carrots
1/4 cup (45g) sliced red bell pepper
3/4 cup (55g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine), mirin or dry sherry
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 medium scallion, sliced, for garnish
* Read the label to be sure this product is gluten-free.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1/2 teaspoon of the grapeseed oil over high heat.
- When the pan is hot and almost smoking, add the chicken, 1/2 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the crushed red pepper.
- Brown the chicken, using a wooden spoon to break it into small pieces as it cooks, 3–4 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, 2–3 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl.
- To the pan, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil, the Brussels sprouts and carrots. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and mushrooms. Pour in the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, rice wine and sesame oil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, stir and reheat for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat, garnish with the scallion, and divide between two bowls.
Tip: The trick to a stress-free stir-fry? Have all your ingredients prepped and ready before you start.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 318; Total Fat: 14.5g; Saturated Fat: 3.5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 98mg; Sodium: 926mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 7.5g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 27g