- 500g pack boxed thin spaghetti or linguini (optional)
- 340g canned tuna (ideally packed in olive oil)
- 2–4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (or about 2 tbsp)
- 2–3 sweet mini bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2–3 tbsp olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp capers, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a 25cm skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Drain the oil from the tuna can into the pan.
- Add another 2–3 tbsp olive.
- When oil is hot, add the chopped sweet bell peppers to the pan. Stir occasionally about 3–4 minutes, until softened. Turn the heat to low and add the garlic. Stir for about a minute. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add tomatoes with juice to pan. Add the tuna to pan, breaking it into small chunks. Add the olives and capers to pan. Mix gently and turn heat to medium-high and cook until the tomatoes give off some liquid, about 5 minutes. Taste and add pepper if desired.
- If using pasta, add cooked pasta to sauce and gently toss. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
(per serving, without pasta): 305 calories, 20 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 644 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein, 1 mg calcium