- 800g beef mince
- 2 eggs
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 15 ml (1 T) mixed dried herbs (I like the Italian Mix)
- 10 ml (2 t) ground cumin
- 80 ml balsamic glaze
- salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 red chillies, halved
- 15 ml (1 T) tomato paste
- 1 can (400 g) tomato purée
- 500 ml (2 c) grated mozzarella cheese (I prefer blending half mozzarella and half cheddar)
- roasted vegetables to serve (Mediterranean Roast Vegetables)
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- In a bowl mix the mince, eggs, coriander, dried herbs, cumin, sugar, balsamic glaze, salt and pepper, making sure the ingredients are well combined. Using wet hands, roll 2 tablespoons at a time into balls.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the meatballs in batches, turning frequently, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chillies, tomato paste, tomato purée, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the dish and top with the cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with the roast vegetable