- 12 whole dried chipotle peppers
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1tspn ground cumin
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup white vinegar cup
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ Tbsp. salt
- ½ Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place the peppers in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Soak for 1 hour.
- Place 4 peppers in a blender with the tomato purée, cumin and half the soaking liquid.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a pan.
- Add the shallot, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, salt, pepper, remaining peppers and soaking liquid.
- Place over a low heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure the sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer to a sterilised jar and seal. The adobo will keep for up to a week in the fridge.
Cook’s note: You can use tomato sauce instead of tomato purée, but omit the maple syrup if you do.