- 250 ml almond flower
- 125ml coconut flour
- 125ml xylitol
- 1tsp baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup double cream yoghurt
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 60ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- pinch salt
- 8 strawberries
- 1Tbs xylitol
- To Serve:
- ½ cup cream
- 1tsp xylitol
- seeds from ½ vanilla pod
- 40g slivered almonds
- mint leaves – to granish
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line a 22cm loose-bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Stir the almond flour, coconut flour, xylitol and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the eggs, yoghurt, oil, milk, vanilla essence and salt in another mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk the wet mixture in with the dry mixture.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- For the roasted strawberries, pre heat the oven to 190°C.
- Arrange the strawberries in a baking dish and sprinkle the xylitol on top.
- Roast for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- To serve, whip the cream, xylitol and vanilla seeds together until stiff.
- Spread this over the cake, scatter the almonds on top and cut into 8 portions.
- Place a roasted strawberry on each portion and garnish with mint, if preferred.
To turn this cake mixture into cupcakes, simply divide the batter between a muffin tin lined with 12 cupcake liners and bake 12-15 minutes.